Based on Jeffrey Hamelman bakers bible (adopted for basic small kitchen :)). Made with Magda (my best spanish teacher :))
For approximately 13 bagels:
- 900g high-gluten flour
- 450g water
- 2 Tbs of salt
- 3/4 tsp of dry instant yeast
- few Tbs of malt syrup for boiling
- poppy or sesame seeds
1. Mix all the ingredients except the malt syrup. Mix well for a few minutes. The dough will be quite stiff.
2. Leave for bulk fermentation for an hour.
3. Divide into 13 pieces, flatten, roll and shape into bagels.
4. Place the bagels on an kitchen cloth that have been sprinkled with cornmeal and refrigerate overnight (at least 6 hours) covered with plastic.
5. Bring a large kettle of water with malt syrup to the boil (enough syrup to make the water the colour of strong tea).
6. Put the bagels into a boiling water for 45 seconds.
7. Remove the bagels from the kettle and place them in a bowl of ice water for 3-4 minuets.
8. Cover bagels with seeds and bake for 20 minutes in 260C until golden.